Saturday, August 29, 2009

N. Tibbals and Sons Publishing House

Tibbals and Sons was a New York City publishing firm which specialized in religious books. The firm which was begun in about 1848 by Nathan Tibbals added two sons, Nathan V. and John A.J. Tibbals in 1871. The firm sold to ministers internationally.

The founder, Nathan Tibbals (1815-1897) was a methodist minister. Because of a poorly described "throat affliction" he retired from the ministry after a short fifteen year career. He subsequently embarked on his publishing career.

Son John A. J. Tibbals (1849-1932) joined the firm as a young man. After the death of his father the firm was renamed N.D. Tibbals Book Company. He retired from the firm in 1917.

Here is a very nice trade card. It was issued at Christmas in 1883.

No comments:

Post a Comment